Saturday 24 November 2018

Elder Uchtdorf es mi ciudad! - MTC Week 5

Bienvenidos a semana 5!


This week was pretty insane, we had lots going on. This email will probably be long but It should be worth it :)

One thing that my district has been saying a lot is "_____ es mi ciudad" when we thing something is awesome. It means "_____ is my city" and I'm not entirely sure why everyone does it but it's caught on fast (Hence this email's title). We've been playing a lot of volleyball this week and a lot of the people in our district weren't very good at volleyball (Including me) but now we are a pretty great team! 

We had our last TRC with Jerald this week, which was pretty sad. We're pretty good friends with him and he eats lunch with us sometimes. With next week being our last week here, there's a bunch of other stuff we have to do so we don't have time for more lessons. Also we had a Skype TRC where we talked to a member over Skype. Our didn't go too well because our Hermana was driving while skyping with us! We could hardly hear her and I'm pretty sure she could hardly hear us. Other people said it was fun, though. 

Alright, now Thanksgiving.... Happy Thanksgiving by the way! (And happy birthday Mom :) ) 
Thanksgiving at the MTC was probably one of my favorite days of all time. We got up early at like 6am so we could go get good seats for our devotional. We were in the Choir so we had to be there anyways, but we had some insider information this week and so we knew who our speaker was going to me. Elder Freeman, my companion, told us that his Mom saw Elder Uchtdorf at a training meeting and he said he was going to be "spending Thanksgiving with the Missionaries." So, we knew like 4 days in advance who it was going to be! 

Elder Uchtdorf was amazing, as to be expected. His wife also came and she told us the story of how the missionaries found her. I'll include somethings about his talk at the end. After they spoke, the spent probably 20 minutes walking up and down the aisles shaking people's hands. Riight at the end they came to the front of the Bass section in the Choir so me and Elder Fifita got to shake their hands! Way cool. Come to find out, all the elders in our district got to, but none of the sisters did. 

After our first devotional, we went to our class for a bit while we waited for our assigned lunch time (Lunch was our Thanksgiving meal). Lunch was honestly better than expected. The food is getting kinda old at this point but I could tell the kitchen staff put some extra work into this thanksgiving meal. We had turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, candied yams, dinner rolls, pumpkin desserts, and eggnog. The eggnog was from BYU creamery and was like 850 calories for this little tiny bottle! Of course what ended up happening was my lactose intolerant companion chugged 2 of them in a minute, against my counsel :) I was still hearing about that mistake for 2 days after. 

After lunch we had a short devotional, then we went to watch "The Other Side of Heaven". It was pretty good and it was pretty fun to see hear the reactions of 600 missionaries when there was a kiss on screen. After that we went to do a service project. The service project as a whole was to make 350,000 breakfast meals that would be sent to kids in Utah that don't get breakfast. They had everyone in the MTC in the parking garage and we spent 1hr 45 mins making these meals assembly line style. My job was to get a bag, open it, put it under the funnel, then 4 people would dump the ingredients in and I would run it to the next station. Way cool experience and it was a lot of fun too. Our group supervisor said her goal for Thanksgiving was to send some pictures to our Moms so my mom should have a picture of me :) 

After that we had a sack dinner in our classroom then went to our 3rd devotional of the day. Hermana Arnold and Hermana Hopkins wrote some personalized notes for all of us too which was super cool. It was very sweet of them. At the devotional they had a singer and a guitarist come and play some songs for us which was way cool. Tanner James was the singers name I'm pretty sure, Michael Dowell(?) I think was the guitarist's name. I've definitely heard some of Michael's music before and If you've ever heard a hymn played on a guitar, it's probably this guy. He has recorded and published like 150 hymns/hymn medleys on guitar. It was waaay good. After that we got to walk around before bed and see all the Christmas lights around the MTC. Definitely a fantastic day. 

Now, for the good stuff. Here's what I learned from Elder Uchtdorf on Thanksgiving. He talked about gratitude for a good chunk of his talk. Some of the things he highlighted were how the "higher law of Gratitude" Is being grateful for everything, including our trials. Trials always bring us closer to God if we remember him and endure them well. He also talked about how Gratitude can be a tool for us, when we are struggling. He promised that, 
"Gratitude brings clarity, calmness, and happiness. It gives us wings to fly over the darkest valleys and the deepest pits. 
It's great to be grateful all year round, and it's sad that we usually only focus on it during this time of year, but I know it's something that can help us always. Elder Uctdorf also said 
"Grateful hearts lead to Greatness." 
I know that when we are grateful it really does make us great. It makes us more like Christ and people notice when we are more like Christ. 

Well my stay at the MTC is almost over, only 10 days left!!! I got my Travel plans this week and I'll be in Washington by 1:00pm on December 4th. My Spanish is getting way better, but I'm excited to get absolutely destroyed in the field for the first few months while I learn more about Spanish. Wish me luck! 

Los amo a todo! 

Elder Thompson

Fotos: 
  1.  Our terrible Thanksgiving picture
  2. Some cool clouds and the Provo temple
  3. MTC lights!
  4. Nativity Scene at MTC
  5. A nice message one of our Teachers left for us before she left for Thanksgiving






Family,

Thanks for all your emails this week, I hope your Thanksgiving was good with Grandma and Grandpa! Also thanks for your Thanksgiving card, I always love getting mail! I hope the usual crazy stuff with work, school, and home are going well. 

I got my travel plans this week, so I'll be getting up at like 5:15am so I can be at the travel office by 5:45am. My flight is like 2 hours, but I go back an hour with time zones, so the flight is like an hour haha. Pretty crazy how close it is! I won't be under the "Y" for much longer.

That food place really does sound like something I'd love. The MTC cafeteria is like that sometimes. We'll have like Korean beef, taco salad, and yogurt parfaits or something. There's just always new stuff. Sometimes it's good, usually it's just OK. Actually last night they had this chicken skewers with rice thay had a spicy peanut sauce. It was probably one of the best things I've had here. 

I was pretty sick yesterday and still kind of today. My skin is all sensitive and my throat hurts. I'll probably be fine by tomorrow. No worries. 

Same deal as always, email me if you can, I can chat most of today! I attached my travel itinerary if you wanna look at it. 

Love you all! 
Elder Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment