Saturday 10 November 2018

Time flies: MTC Week 3

Hola Familia y Amigos! 

This week has gone by so fast! This email might be shorter than usual, just because as I try to remember each day this week it all just melts together in my head. I need to be better about writing something down each day in my Journal so this doesn't happen :) 

In our district we were down 1 Hermana Arnold this week because she was super sick after eating some bad food. We gave her a blessing yesterday which was a pretty cool experience. She's much better today luckily. Other district news includes, way too much leftover Halloween candy in packages, more district volleyball, district spikeball, and translating Star Wars quotes into Spanish! 

One thing that was new this week is TRC. TRC is where me and my companion go and teach a 'real' person to teach in Spanish. (I say 'real' because they told us some are and some aren't. We treat them as real.) My person's name is Jerald. He's a younger guy from Bolivia who wants to know more about the Church. So far we've had 3 lessons, but they've been cut short each time due to scheduling issues in this TRC building. Jerald doesn't really like to talk so we're working on just getting to know him better so he feels comfortable talking to us. It's definitely good practice for all parts of being a Missionary! 

We're starting to memorize phrases for all the lessons in Spanish now. The pace we're supposed to keep is memorizing 60+ new words and 9+ new phrases per day soooo we're definitely always busy. I realized the other day that In class, I can understand 99% of everything our teachers say! The gift of tongues is real! We're also starting to get in to some more grammar-heavy works like past preterit, past imperfect, and future tense. It's a lot of new info but compared to English, Spanish is a breeze. I have so much respect for the missionaries that come to the MTC to learn English! I've met missionaries from China, Japan, Brazil, Switzerland, Korea, Thailand, and so many more! 

One thing we've talked about a lot this week is loving people. Charity is probably one of the most difficult Christlike attributes to develop, but is definitely one of the most important. There are so many people in this world that do bad things, say things that offend you, or maybe even just inconvenience you. I'm learning more and more every day how important it is to love everyone. Everyone has their own things they are dealing with in their life and people make mistakes. That's just a fact of life, but as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we carry a special responsibility to be representatives of Christ at all times. I believe that is one reason why President Nelson made the course correction for the name of the Church. Christ would never talk badly about someone behind their back, Christ would never dislike someone because of what they look like, and Christ would never turn inward on himself and label himself more important than someone else. 

1 Corinthians:13 is a great chapter about Charity. I invite you to read it and ponder about how you can be more like Christ. Similar to "What would Jesus do?" the scripture,  3 Nephi 27:27
 "Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am."
 is a great motto to live by. I'm learning more and more every day that life is to short to be sad, mad, angry, or depressed. You get this one mortal life... Live it as Christ did. Love others, serve others. 

I wasn't planning on writing this much about Charity, but I guess I just felt like it was right! I'll get off my soap-box now :) 

Los amo a todos! 

- Elder Thompson

Pictures this Week

1. Elder Fifita being cool as always
2. Me being....less cool as always :) 
3. District Temple Visit
4. Provo Temple





Familia! 

Just some other stuff that I didn't include in my group email....

At the MTC copy center they have a little Kiosk where you can order a T-Shirt for your mission. I just ordered mine and I should have it by next P-Day so I'll try and send a picture if I remember. Choir is way fun here! The director is really good, and he has lots of good stories to tell us. We sang a really pretty rendition of the Hymn "Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer" this week for the devotional. Probably just as fun, if not a bit more fun, is our Shower Choir. Pretty much our whole corner of the residence building likes to sing so when we are all in the showers we sing hymns, Disney songs, and whatever else comes up! It's pretty goofy but it's a blast. 

To answer mom's questions: Yeah I got the flip-flops, they are great. Thursdays Saturdays and Sundays are the longest days so I'm getting tired but I'm doing good. I played volleyball this morning and I usually have exercise time at like 7pm so it's throwing me off. My body thinks I should be asleep right now :) Thursdays we do 75min of service at like 6:15am. It's usually like sweeping or cleaning the residence bathrooms so not the most fun jobs. Then we have class right after for like 6ish hours with a break for food. Then we study till 10:30. Saturday is P-Days so we have class from 6-9:15pm. It's just a little hard to be working all day then suddenly sit down right as your body wants to sleep. Then Sundays are literally 13 hours of church. We have Priesthood, District meeting, Sacrament, Doctrine Class 1, Doctrine class 2, Choir, Devotional. Most of those things are more than 2 hours and none are less them 1 :) it's also mostly in English which is quite a trip when you spend all day speaking Spanish. Nothing bad though these days just seem to go slower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment