Monday 20 April 2020

Potatoes - Mission Week 78


Well this week was Elder Averett's last week as a missionary... it's kinda wild cuz all the Hermanas in my MTC group are also going home... I'm super old. 

The thing that made week super fun was a giant service project we helped with. Agrinorthwest is one of the largest farms in the US and it's owned by the Church. They are the potato supplier for a ton of the biggest restaurant chains in America. Since the coronavirus has hurt restaurants they had a ton of stored potatoes that wouldn't be sold so they said that we could give away as many potatoes as we bagged. So for 2 days we went and bagged potatoes from this giant mound. 

I dont remember how many tons they said this storage was holding but it wasn't even 1/3 full. We ended up bagging 31.5 tons of potatoes to give away to the needy and we didn't even make a dent in this pile. I will include lots of pics. 

It was super fun to get out of the apartment and get dirty, and work a little. The third day we went back to the farm but this time to load all the potatoes into trucks. For some reason they only asked that 4 elders come but we definitely could have used more help haha it was probably the hardest work I've done in a while. It was a lot of fun though!! We did a total of 1800 35lb bags. 

I'm super bummed to see E. Averett go, but I get to stay here in Kennewick at least one more transfer with E. Newton, my new companion. I've served around him a lot already so I know we'll have a good time. 

Anyways, another kinda short email, hopefully things will pick back up soon. 

Les quiero, 

Elder Thompson 







No comments:

Post a Comment